GPS Serial Compatibility and Configuration Settings
Many GPS units have serial data streams that publish enough data to display a basic HSI page on Dynon products, and can provide groundspeed and waypoint information to enhance the EMS fuel computer. The following products may be connected to the serial inputs on any Dynon product, including the HS34. If your system includes the HS34, your GPS must be connected to it.
EFIS/EMS settings are made in:
- EFIS > SETUP > HSI > EFIS SERIAL
- EMS > SETUP > GLOBAL > EMS SERIAL
HS34 settings are made in:
- EFIS > SETUP > HSI > -HS34- > SERIAL
The following two GPS serial output formats are supported:
- It does not matter what version of NMEA you are using.
- Baud rate must be 4800 or 9600. The baud rate will be auto detected.
- Must provide the following sentences.
- GPRMB - This sentence is needed always. It contains core position, speed, and satellite data.
- GPRMC - This sentence is needed always. It contains basic navigational data, including information about origin/destination waypoints and course deviation
- GPGGA - Only needed if you want GPS altitude
- GPBOD or GPAPB - One of the two sentences must be present, but you don't need both. Contains course direction information. If neither are present, the OBS will always indicate 360.
- Any GPS that outputs the Aviation format can be used.
- Baud rate must be 9600.
- Some GPSs have a "MAPCOM" setting. This is usually equivalent to Aviation format.
- Apollo GPSs may or may not work. They need to be set to MAP mode. (Some Apollo GPSs can only be set to MAPCOM mode.)
GPS Model Compatibility
|Product||Product Settings / Notes||EFIS/EMS Settings||HS34 Settings||Known to work?|
|Anywhere Map||Does not output all needed sentences, time output is wrong.||Possibly. Consult Anywheremap for details.|
|Avmap 2000C||WAAS must be off or frequent drops may occur||Yes|
|AvMap EKP-IV||NMEA "Processed",
firmware version 2.06.116R or greater
|Bendix/King Skymap||AR NAV 9600 output||AVIATION:9600||Aviation:9600||Yes|
|Garmin 96, 96c||NMEA 0183||Yes|
|Garmin 196||NMEA or NMEA & VHF Out. Advanced:Normal||Auto||NMEA:9600||Yes|
|Garmin 296||NMEA or NMEA & VHF Out. Advanced:Normal||NMEA:9600||NMEA:9600||Yes|
|Garmin 396||NMEA or NMEA & VHF Out. Advanced:Normal||Auto||NMEA:9600||Yes|
|Garmin 496||NMEA or NMEA & VHF Out. Advanced:Normal||Auto||NMEA:9600||Yes|
|Garmin GNS480||MAPCOM, 9600 baud (Sometimes referred to as "Apollo")||Yes|
|Garmin GNS580||May work with newest firmware; requires manual configuration. (Sometimes referred to as "Apollo")||Untested|
|Garmin GX50||Aviation||Auto||Aviation:9600||No, but this GPS is very similar to the GX65 below, which is known to work]|